World Password Day is on the first Thursday of every May to create awareness of the need for good password security. It is a great reminder that keeping our digital information secure is important. Passwords are the first line of defense when it comes to protecting our online accounts and sensitive information. A good password can protect against hackers and identity theft and minimize the risk of falling victim to cyber attacks.
It’s crucial to change your passwords frequently and make them strong and unique. Changing your passwords regularly is important by preventing hackers from accessing your accounts, even if they’ve managed to obtain an old password. Here’s a few tips regarding your passwords:
Table of Contents
- Change your passwords frequently.
- Use a unique password for each of your online accounts.
- Never share your passwords or write them down next to your computer.
- Don’t use easily guessable information like names, birthdays, or addresses.
Create strong (long) passwords
Creating strong passwords can be challenging. However, it’s worth it to keep your information secure. A strong password is a good combination of uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols. Remember, taking the time to create strong passwords and changing them regularly can help protect your digital information from cyber attacks.
- Aim for a minimum of 12 characters. Basically, the longer the password is, the harder it is to crack.
- Mix in capital letters and special characters to make your password more complex. For example, “My cat’s name is fluffy” can be transformed into “Myc@t’sNam3isFluffY!”
- Use passphrases. They are easy to remember and their longer length is harder to crack
- Use a password manager. Not only can they generate strong passwords, they make it easier to keep track of all your passwords.
Passwords & other ways to stay safe online
Although a strong password is an important step in protecting your online security, it is not the only one. Additionally, be sure to also use two-factor authentication and keep your software up to date.
netEffx has a wide variety of cyber security tools available to you, from software solutions, like 2-factor authentication and antivirus software, to business-grade hardware solutions. Let us use the power of our technical partners DUO, Malwarebytes, and SonicWALL help you stay safe online.
Fill out the form to the below for more information.